Monday, December 12, 2005

A lesson to remember

Recently I saw someone, a town official, from a small Lousiana town inland from New Orleans on TV. He said something along the lines of "I learned that we who live in these smaller towns had better be ready to do for ourselves, because the government is going to help the most people possible first, and that's in the bigger cities."

Later I heard about a website, a part of the Department of Homeland Security. I assumed that it's basically government propoganda, but I plan to look it over more carefully soon. The "front page" is right here

What caught my ear though was the statement that each state's "Department of Homeland Security" would be linked to from this site. I wanted to find out what South Carolina was doing to prepare for emergencies, like hurricanes along the coast, including Charleston. I wanted to know what plans are in place to address a problem at any of our three commercial reactor sites. I wanted to know what plans are in place to deal with damage to any of the major hydro-electric dams on our waterways.

If you want to know what plans your state has made to deal with disasters, man made or natural, visit this page to find a link to your state's page. Some are apparently pretty lame. My state's is for the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division so apparently the state considers it most likely that our emergency needs will involve law breaking.

To be honest with you, I don't see anything at my state's site that addresses any of the questions I had. There are links to the sex offender registry, computer crimes, how to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon, homeland security grants and a bunch more, but nothing like "If a hurricane is headed towards Charleston, we will reverse all lanes of I-26 and evacuate along that route.", which is the info I think we really might need.

Especially for those folks who live ten miles inland.

Take a look at your state's plans, and let the rest of us know what you find, if you're so inclined.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Comments:
Texas is pretty much "Here's what you can do to support your wise and powerful leaders, who have everything well under control!" :-/
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?