Friday, June 02, 2006

Pat LaMarche: Remembering Hal Weisbein and Al Philbrook

As the Green Party of the United States matures, so does our membership. As time marches relentlessly on we will find ourselves more and more often writing about Greens we have known and loved after they have died. Pat LaMarche writes about two men she has known through the Maine Green Independent Party who died recently. Her words, beautiful and loving, are behind the "Read more!" link, so take a few minutes and learn about people who gave to the Green Party and everyone who they touched, in Maine and elsewhere, by virtue of their work for justice...



Augusta, Maine

In the middle of the most beautiful and lush spring I can remember in this state, Maine got a little less Green this week.

It is with a heavy heart that Maine bids farewell to two of her most ardent protectors. On Wednesday, May 24, 2006, both Hal Weisbein and Al Philbrook died.

Hal Weisbein died in a highly publicized car accident on route 295 when a driver with a suspended license hit his vehicle and sent his SUV careening off the road. Reports say that Hal died instantly.

Al Philbrook died of cancer just a few hours, geographically as well as literally, away in Pittston. His death was neither instantaneous nor well publicized.

Both of these men would have been sad to hear of the other's passing. Hal was one of the best friends that the Allagash wilderness waterway ever had, and Al was a former Maine Yankee Engineer who helped found the Maine Nuclear Referendum Committee.

Hal was a dear friend of mine. When I saw the cut away to his photograph on television saying that he had died, an incredible feeling of loss mingled with my wonderful memories of him. Hal, a kind sweet man, worked diligently for the Green
Party as a solution to Maine's problems.

Indeed, the last time I saw Hal, we sat together at the Topsham Green Independent Party Caucus and discussed the strategy for getting five-dollar checks for our clean elections campaign. What a blessing I have been given to have a man like Hal in my life. What a double blessing to have Hal believe in me and work on all of my campaigns.

Al Philbrook is more of a legend. One of the founders of the Green Party of the United States and a tireless advocate of Democracy in our state and country, Al's vision made real many David and Goliath struggles here in Maine. Al, using the
referendum process, worked to amplify the voices of the majority who wanted the end of nuclear power generation in our state. At the request of the people of Maine, a referendum was passed and Maine Yankee was closed.

I remember when my mom died. I felt really sorry for myself because I knew how much I would miss her. Then I thought of the charities she always helped, and I realized how many of us, even people who never met her, would miss her.

It is the same situation with Hal and Al. While so many of us feels a personal loss, I know the loss is bigger than what we alone feel. People who never met them and don't know their names have lost two of their biggest champions.

As for me, I lost a friend, I lost a couple of heroes, I lost men I could trust to do very important work while I focused on other things. But I am not alone in feeling this loss. And while I feel powerless, I am not. I can remember the causes that they loved and renew my love and support for those causes in their memory. I can't bring either of these wonderful men back, but I can work on their projects for them. And when you feel the need to deal with your loss too, I invite you to work with me.

Goodbye Al Philbrook, who made Maine safe, who helped Mainers use their voice. Goodbye Hal Weisbein, who made me smile no matter how challenging the task we tackled.

You two helped make me the woman I am today, and like so many others, I am going to miss you.

Pat LaMarche
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?