Thursday, March 30, 2006

A discussion

One of the things I wonder about from time to time is, where do I spend my time to it's most effective? Does time spent here add up, or am I only preaching to the converted? Do pieces at OpEdNews hit already receptive eyes, or am I better off writing in a local newspaper blog?

So, I try to do it all. Behind the "Read more!" link you'll find an exchange between me and "Enlighten". Take a peek...I hope you have ideas I can use to make a more persuasive argument...

Don't like what the County is doing? Run against them!

The deadline to fill out paperwork to seek the Green Party nomination for any seat is fast approaching. Anyone interested in running for office as a Green must file paperwork required by the State of South Carolina by NOON, March 30th. These forms can be had by calling 984-5414 locally, or 1-877-282-2236 toll free. They are also available at PostNet, across from the public library in Baxter Village near the intersection of Hwy 160 and I-77.

Gang, even if you think the Green Party is a bunch you don't want to be associated with, South Carolina has seven ballot qualified political parties. It's difficult to imagine that there is no party amongst those seven that comes close to reflecting your beliefs. Why moan and grumble about the County Council and then sit on the sidelines as they walk up and take another term, without even having to lift a finger to defend their actions.

Need I remind readers about the bond issue? The hospital issue? The growth issue, land fills, natural gas prices, "Pennies for Progress", bar closure times, tree clear-cutting, sweetheart deals with corrupt multi-national corporate criminals...surely there is someone out there reading this who is tired of letting local politicos run without competition.

Even if you don't want to run Green, but do want to run, and are not sure how to proceed, give me a call. I'll do what I can. And that may not be much. ~smile~

Enlighten responds
tired of it all, but...

you can be sure that there are many people fed up with the whole mess and are as qualified as the next person but they are really "un-electable" because of the way they live their life. If you do not attend church, are not heterosexual, or semi-comfortable in this county, you will not be elected. Right or wrong, that's how it is.

Why would I waste my time trying to get elected knowing that even if I tried? I certainly vote "green/independent" when I can. However, when our very nation is threatened, then I have, in the past, been forced to vote for the Dems. Sad but true.

What happens locally is exactly what happens nationally. Honesty in politics is long gone...I believe that greed has replaced common sense and we may never be the home of the free again.

My reply
Ah, but victories happen every day!

Listen Enlighten, I understand folks who don't want to spend their time building a better future for their children and grandchildren by engaging in politics. I understand why people don't vote. Considering that only nine people's votes counted in 2000, it's hard to persuade average voters to try.

That said, my wife ran for Fort Mill Town Council running against Wadell Gibson. Gibson is the Mayor's brother-in-law, was a high-school volunteer coach for many years, served as director of the town's utility and public works department for longer than twenty years, and served 13 years on the school board.

She lost by 37 votes.

Literally yesterday the Palm Beach Post reported that a member of the Florida Green Party was elected to the Lake Worth Commission. Not too shabby considering that she is a part-time teacher, raised less than 1/3 of the money the incumbent did, and won her seat despite the entire "establishment" gunning for her.

So, if the people of Lake Worth FL, or San Miguel County CO, or Cornwell CT or Windsor Heights IA or any of the other scores of cities, towns and counties have elected Greens, why do you think it impossible here?

Heck, Gray Newman was elected to the Soil and Water Conservation Board in Mecklenburg County. From that position, Gray can help push against, or for, the inter-basin transfers we have discussed elsewhere.

So, if you would prefer taking time to enjoy The Simpsons reruns every day, I have no problem with that.

Just don't tell me that I am wasting my time, and I won't make the same accusation about you.

~smile~

I sense a sadness, a sort of giving-up. I understand this. I do struggle against it myself, but what options do we have? Those who believe in a better way must, it seems to me, push for that better way. George Bush may have The Ring today, but history has shown us that evil always loses to good. Hate always eventually loses to love. The only question is:

Which side are you on?

"Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil."- David Cobb, Green Presidential nominee, 2004

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?