Friday, December 09, 2005

Trying to fill BIG shoes

In the recent past I have blogged very little on my own. Instead of trying to develop a following, and take on the responsibility of managing a blog myself, I have used the York County Green website to house copies of columns I have written for YC Magazine. I also published a brief report there on nuclear issues at the Catawba reactor site. The site should properly be a site used by the York County Greens, but so far the York County Greens seem comfortable with the site being as limited as it is. I hope that sometime soon someone with skills will offer to help get that site going, or else that I learn enough to be able to do it myself.

Now, with the passing of KenSain.com, the Internet is without a central source for Green Party news other than the official sites. There are a number of Green Party blogs, and a list will be posted here as soon as I can figure out how to do stuff like that, but Ken's site was unique in that it was a sort of personalized independent Gonzo Journalism. Ken was an unabashed Green Party advocate and party member, but was not part of the party leadership.

I too am an unabashed Green Party advocate and card carrying member of the Green Party of the United States, the South Carolina Green Party and of course, the York County (SC) Greens. I am currently the chair of the York County (SC) Greens, and hope to be one of South Carolina's representatives to the Green National Committee. In that sense I am an "official" Green and not only a rank-and-file member, but aspire to nothing less than just that status! It would mean that everything that needs to be done was being done by someone else, leaving me alone to do unofficial stuff.

At any rate, so long as my personal point of view is represented as that, personal, I don't think I'll get into too much hot water.

In what I suspect might be my last posting at Ken's site I told his readers that I would post information about a rumor that the California Greens were going to vote to leave the Green Party at a meeting on Saturday. Of course, now I have to find someone from California who is likely to know what's going on. I intend to contact some of the folks in Sabastapol and Arcata since I have already spoken with them for an article I did for YC Magazine, and see if that bears fruit. If not, I'll keep on trying until I find out something.

I also promised to post at least once daily. I have decided to compose my writings on Free Software, in this case, Open Office ahead of posting, and that way I'll be able to spell check and edit. Don't expect perfection, or even real reporting. I am no journalist, and in fact don't even have a college degree. All I can do is try to make the site interesting and to answer your questions, asked and unasked. Let me know how I'm doing.

I will continue to blog at Green Commons as well as at Chlorophyll, but that will be one post every few days, especially since there are others participating there.

I'll try to keep an eye open for issues of concern to the GLBT community because I know many of Ken's readers depend on his site for that news, and I hope some of those folks will make their way here. Not only that, but like environmental or peace news coverage, coverage of gay issues is less than it needs to be. I hope to make some contributions folks will find helpful.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Comments:
Gregg,

I think I can speak for Greens everywhere when I say how much I appreciate what you are doing. Being able to participate in a blog, especially one that concentrates on Green politics, is an excellent way to keep in touch with the rank-and-file Greens and their concerns, and let them know that their leadership is doing so. And of course with the various Republican and Democrat-centered blogs out there, it's handy to have one that is concentrating on a party that's trying to make a real difference.
 
Welcome Gregg. I've linked to you from my blog GreensforGreens.org (and will add it to newsforgreens.com). I read your posts on some of the other blogs - particulary Ken's were you were often the most resonable voice.

Alos looking foward to you joining the GP-US National Committee.

Peace -Roger
 
Thanks Roger, and Steve. Surely you've seen the Google ads at the top. I expect to be a billionaire out of this before it'a all said and done, so start hitting those links! ;-}

But seriously, I know you folks have blogs of your own, and I want to encourage everyone to check out your blogs and the other links they find here. I try to link either to the first publication source, like a newspaper account or radio interview, to an official website like a party or candidate website, or to folks I know and have checked out as knowledgable in their field...folks I trust 100%

If this blog never grows beyond thirty readers a day, but it's thirty readers like *you folks*, then the effort will be well worth the time.

PS...I like these pop-up boxes. Do you folks like them, or do you prefer the comments more like at Green Commons?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?